INFORMATION FOR CLIENTS
Please read the following information which is provided to you in accordance with Rules of Conduct and Client Care for Lawyers of the New Zealand Law Society (“Law Society”)
1. Fees: The basis on which fees will be charged is set out in our letter of engagement. When payment of fees is to be made, is set out in our Standard Terms of Engagement.
We may deduct, from any funds held on your behalf in our trust account, any fees, expenses or disbursements for which we have provided an invoice.
2. Professional Indemnity Insurance:
· We hold professional indemnity insurance that meets or exceeds the minimum standard specified by the Law Society. We will provide you with particulars of the minimum standards upon request.
3. Lawyers Fidelity Fund: The Law Society maintains the Lawyers Fidelity Fund for the purposes of providing clients of lawyers with protection against pecuniary loss arising from theft by lawyers. The maximum amount payable by the fidelity Fund by way of compensation to an individual claimant is limited to $100,000. Except in certain circumstances specified in the Lawyers and Conveyancers Act 2006, the Fidelity Fund does not cover a client for any loss relating to money that a lawyer is instructed to invest on behalf of the client.
4. Complaints: We maintain a procedure for handling any complaints by clients, designed to ensure that a complaint is dealt with promptly and fairly.
If you have a complaint about our services or charges, you may refer your complaint to the person in our firm who has overall responsibility for your work.
If you do not wish to refer your complaint to that person, or you are not satisfied with that person’s response to your complaint, you may refer your complaint to Philip Lee, Principal who may be contacted by:
· Letter, or
· Phone, or · Email at email@example.com
The Law Society also maintains a complaint service and you are able to make a complaint to that service. To do so, you should contact the New Zealand Law Society, 26 Waring Taylor Street, Wellington 6011, New Zealand, PO Box 5041, Wellington 6145, New Zealand, DX XP20202 Telephone: 0800 261 801, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
5. Persons Responsible for the Work: The names and status of the person or persons who will have the general carriage of or overall responsibility for the services we provide are set out in our letter of engagement.
6. Client Care and Service:
The Law Society client care and service information is set out below.
Whatever legal services your lawyer is providing, s/he must:
o Act competently, in a timely way, and in accordance with instructions received and arrangements made.
o Protect and promote your interests and act for you free from compromising influences or loyalties.
o Discuss with you your objectives and how they should best be achieved.
o Provide you with information about the work to be done, who will do it and the way the services will be provided.
o Charge you a fee that is fair and reasonable and let you know how and when you will be billed.
o Give you clear information and advice.
o Protect your privacy and ensure appropriate confidentiality.
o Treat you fairly, respectfully and without discrimination.
o Keep you informed about the work being done and advise you when it is completed.
o Let you know how to make a complaint and deal with any complaint promptly and fairly.
These obligations lawyers are owed to clients are described in the Rules of Conduct and Client Care for Lawyers. Those obligations are subject to other overriding duties, including to the courts and to the justice system.
If you have any questions, please visit www.lawsociety.org.nz
7. Limitation on extent of our Obligations or Liability:
Any limitations on the extent of our obligations to you or any limitation or exclusion of liability are set out in or letter of engagement.